Sunday, November 20, 2011

Breakthrough. MOVE vs MOTOR Block learning!



As I was helping a rookie team program, I went back to our favorite mentor, the Cougar Robotic's website, to ensure I was correct in one point.  But I found I was incorrect.  It was the old Move vs. Motor block discussion.  It has been the Yappin' Yoda's rule to always use a motor block when a single motor is being used to turn.  Yet I reviewed the Cougar Bot's presentation and they use a single motor Move block to affect turns.  Hummm #1.


We we believed the primary difference was....


Move blocks have an "internal" PID (Proportional Integral Derivative) correction formula and by use of rotation sensors on each motor, the Move block ensures both motors complete the specified degrees.

The Motor block does not have this correction and to avoid confusion, we always use a motor block when turning one motor and then switch back to a move block when we go straight driving both motors.



As I did more research I read what LEGO Engineering had to say and it seems they suggest use of the Move block when precision is your objective.  And if that is not enough of a "where have you been?", check out this beautifully presented piece on the difference between the two.  Hummm #2.



This just goes to show how we can all learn from each other, or in this case, "unlearn" what we have believed to be true and "relearn" a better approach.

So, which would be better in our Advance To Line program?  A Motor or a Move?  Hummm #3.


1 comment: